Monday, August 21, 2017

2017 Total Solar Eclipse...





August 21, 2017 would have been my father's 89th birthday.  It is also the date of a total eclipse of the sun, visible in the United States.  The path of totality does not run in New England, we are only supposed get 67% or so.

The internet is abuzz with jokes, memes, predictions and advice on rituals to perform, from making eclipse water, to manifesting dreams.  There are end of the world predictions and I even saw a picture of Jesus on the cross with the insinuation that when he died and the earth went dark, it was in fact due to a total solar eclipse. 

On my personal Facebook feed, I have read friends posts ad nauseous about how they procured their precious eclipse watching glasses, several others lamenting on how they were unable to get the sold out eclipse gear and a few more whose posts were seen by generous benefactors who parted with a spare pair.  I have at least 4 Facebook friends who high-tailed it to North Carolina to view this spectacular event.

I however, am going to watch this monumental universal occurrence on CBS.  

While I consider myself pretty adventurous with not too much I wouldn't consider doing, risking my eyesight is not one of those things.  I realize NASA certified certain eyewear as safe, but if there is even a .01% chance of error or failure, I am not willing to risk my vision.  I'm sure professional photographers and videographers will post awe-inspiring photos.  

For those that choose to view the eclipse, I hope your glasses are safe.  I hope people don't risk looking up with regular sunglasses.  And I truly hope the eclipse lives up to all your exceptions.  

Right now, where I am, it is 12:10 EST and looking a little cloudy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Queen is In has Moved to Wordpress!

The Queen Is In has moved over to Wordpress. Come over and visit! https://thequeenisincom.wordpress.com